[E-Lang] defense in depth

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap@cs.jhu.edu
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 08:45:09 -0500

Nikita Borisov wrote:

> The isaac.lists.e-lang group is a local newsgroup that mirrors e-lang
> list and provides a newsreader interface for a few folks here at
> Berkeley.  I believe messages that David sends, as well as this message,
> should include a "To: e-lang@eros-os.org" field, but it will also have a
> "Newsgroups:" field in the header.  If this is not the case, or if the
> Newsgroups header confuses your mail reader, I should be able to install
> a filter to fix this.

I have seen the same problem, and I have also reported it to Nikita (or
it may have been someone else there) before. This sort of issue is one
of the reasons we specifically ask people NOT to gateway these lists.

Nikita: I think we can now treat it as confirmed that the "newsgroups"
header does indeed confuse some of the mail readers. If you can filter
it out, please do so.

Jonathan