[E-Lang] Java 2 "Security"

Jonathan S. Shapiro shap@cs.jhu.edu
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 20:34:04 -0500

Bill Frantz wrote:

> Is it possible to understand permission inheritance well enough to use it
> safely?  I admit to being frequently confused by standard Java inheritance,
> even though I know the rules.

My personal response is "no", so the idea is bad both from feasibility
and usability standpoints. However, I must emphasize that I considered
feasibility first, concluded it was a bust, and then didn't give a whole
lot of thought to usability issues. I could be wrong here.

On the other hand, Graham Hamilton's results on versioning of interface
dependencies are depressingly awful in practice (thanks to MarkM for
reminding me about this paper), and I would strongly expect inheritance
dependencies to be unusable by mere mortals for essentially the same
reasons: the configuration dependencies are too hard to comprehend.

Jonathan