[E-Lang] Relying on H/W

Chris Hibbert hibbertc@pacbell.net
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:38:57 -0700

Bill Frantz wrote:
> I have my doubts.  I just don't trust PC hardware enough.  A simple error
> in virtual address translation, an undetected memory or disk error, the
> list goes on.  What we can hope is that these errors will cause the
> substrate to stop (crash) rather than compute with bad data.

There are only a few reliable hardware faults (Intel floating point
comes to mind.).  Most of the errors you describe are sporadic.  If you
can't write an exploit based on them, I'm not sure they matter much.  In
the same sense MarcS used earlier, they mostly lead to technical faults.
 If a cracker can't use them to write anywhere in the memory of some
privileged process, they don't buy her much.

Chris