[E-Lang] My financial data

Tyler Close tclose@oilspace.com
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 13:37:46 -0000

Vijary Saraswat wrote:
> How would one design a system (hardware, software) that could let
me, a
> user, collect my financial data from various feeds on the net, pull
> together my composite financial picture...hosted on some ASP (or
> portal)site on the net (so I can connect to it from anywhere on the
net,
> and from any wireless device)... but in a way that i was guaranteed
that
> no one else could see that picture except me, or those who I had
> explicitly delegated the ability to?

You can't. You're basically asking if its possible for someone else to
organize your data for you, without looking at that data.

The answer to this need is that the "portal" has to be software
running on your computer, not at some web site. For this to be a
marketable solution, the world needs at least two things. The first is
a portable, networked, secure, highly graphical computing device.
Maybe a future PalmPilot running something like EROS. The world also
needs flexible, secure and computer friendly interfaces to the web
sites that house individual pieces of your information. XML is an
attempt at finding a language for these interfaces to work in. The
works discussed on this list are attempts to create servers capable of
fulfilling these interfaces. The same techniques are also applied to
create the "portal" software.

Portal sites that aggregate together all of the information of a large
number of people are in general a bad idea. They are just too sweet a
target for abuse/accident/theft. Keep authority in many small bundles
so that the loss of one bundle doesn't sink you. This means that a
personal financial summary is something that needs to be done on its
own separate computer, not on the same computer with everyone else's.

Tyler