[E-Lang] Java 2 "Security" (was: Re: WelcomeChrisSkalkaandScottSmith of Johns Hopkins)

Mark S. Miller markm@caplet.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 02:48:45 -0800

At 05:15 PM Friday 1/26/01, David Wagner wrote:
>[...] What's the matter with designs that combine ACL's and
>delegation?  For instance, what's broken about my proposal?

In comparing programming languages, a useful and frequent exercise is to
challenge one to write in language B an example currently appreciated in
language A.  By comparing these, we learn something about the relative
expressiveness issues of these languages.

In this spirit, I'll pose the same challenge I posed to Chris Skalka: Please
write the MintMaker from the Ode
http://www.erights.org/elib/capability/ode/ode-capabilities.html#simple-money
in terms of your proposal.  Feel free to invent a non-rigorous pseudo-code
notation.

I'd love a similar (and similarly small) challenge in the other direction.