[E-Lang] Relying on H/W

Marc Stiegler marcs@skyhunter.com
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:02:07 -0700

> I think the place to be most concerned is where some security value is
> changed by the error.  In the EROS case, if a DomainKey was changed to a
> NodeKey by a memory error, then you would have a "magic" wand to wave over
> that domain, which will persist as long at the domain persists.
>
> Does anyone have any information about how often these kinds of errors
> actually occur?  (Or are all my Windows re-boots software caused?)

Anecdotal evidence: I had a Windows machine I had manually upgraded to a
faster CPU, and it started crashing all the time. Figuring I'd created some
sort of edge-condition clocking-mismatch or some such, I turned the computer
into an experimental Linux machine that I could putter with, but would  not
endanger my data.

It hasn't crashed since.

It's the software :-)

--marcs