[E-Lang] One-Click Amplifiers? (was: what is good about E?)

Mark S. Miller markm@caplet.com
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 21:43:01 -0700

At 09:14 PM Tuesday 7/24/01, Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
>> With the coming of Bluetooth, we can imagine just such a future...
>
>Actually, one of the really serious things people are working on in the ad
>hoc computing area is the issue of authorization and agreement about how the
>aggregate gets built.
>
>The problem is that in the end the vendors of consumer devices do not care
>about the security of the customer, so long as the box doesn't get returned.
>Actually, for the most part these vendors are *anti* security. They *want*
>music to get copied. More copying sells more consumer devices.

Please let's not define impossible problem, like copy protection, as part of
computer security.  Or only in the same sense that perpetual motion is part
of mechanical engineering.  Perhaps if we all stop making this confusion, no
one will worry that security might ever threaten to enforce copyright. Those
scared of copyright don't need to avoid security, and those scared of
unimpeded copying can stop distorting the field with their false hopes.  I
truly wish copyright, narrowly interpreted, could survive.  But it can't.