[E-Lang] what is good about E?

Marc Stiegler marcs@skyhunter.com
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:17:57 -0700

> At 12:49 PM Wednesday 7/25/01, Marc Stiegler wrote:
> >The directX question raises some interesting questions in a capability
> >system, since if you upgrade from the SimCopter package, you are trusting
> >the SimCopter people in addition to the Microsoft folks wrt the integrity
of
> >the directX being installed.
>
> I have no idea how Toontalk or SimCopter actually arrange for a DirectX
> upgrade, but it doesn't need to be *this* bad.  You should be able to get
> the code from Microsoft, or verify that the code came from Microsoft, so
> you're only making yourself vulnerable to / trusting / relying on
Microsoft;
> not both Microsoft and SimCopter / Toontalk.

Yes, the question is how to handle this pleasantly in the user interface.
The traditional approach is to include the MS code on your cd, which is not
acceptable. I'd guess a pleasant and reliable user interface can be designed
(no tricking the user into going to a site that is not actually MS's site
allowed :-), but I haven't thought it through yet (and won't in the near
future :-).

--marcs