[E-Lang] A more critical question (was: an example impatience policy )

zooko@zooko.com zooko@zooko.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:07:08 -0800

 Tyler wrote:

> >                                     VLS & HTTPY
> >

> > I think it would be great to separate out the VLS ideas into a separate
> > HTTPY (or whatever we call it) service.  Steve Jenson has expressed an
> > interest in reviving the VLS, and we've talked some about how a revived VLS
> > should deal with Firewalls, NATs, delayed lookup, and activation.
>
> I think it would be good if this discussion moved onto the e-lang
> list. I imagine that Mojo Nation also needs/uses a DNS replacement
> (Zooko?). If there were a consensus amoung E, Mojo, Droplets, Steve's
> needs, etc. around what the VLS should be, then such a generally
> useful product could get significant market share.

I don't know what VLS and HTTPY are, but it sounds very interesting.  Mojo
Nation already has a comms system that does automatic firewall-hopping, and a
working "introducer" (which is called a "MetaTracker") which maps public key
ids to comms addresses and a few other bits of generally useful info.

We are in fact trying to promote the comms system as a separately useful
package, much as Tyler is advocating for some of the E components.  The
introductory attempt to do that is visible on my web site in the form of a
proposed presentation for the second O'Reilly p2p conference[1].  (By the way,
I think that "proposed standard" is premature and inflammatory, so I'm going to
change it to something like "a useful tool that you can start using now".)

However what we, and everyone else, need is a distributed, attack-resistant,
scalable mutable namespace, which seems like a difficult problem and perhaps
not even feasible.

I'm actively talking to various people who are interested in that project.
There are *many* people thinking about variations on that theme and many of
them don't know about each other or about the shape of the design space that
they are exploring.

Regards,

Zooko

[1]  "The Evil Geniuses Transport Protocol: A Proposed Standard For
  Peer-to-Peer Networking"
  http://zooko.com/p2pconII.html