[e-lang] Retired Switches

Mark S. Miller e-lang@mail.eros-os.org
Sat, 15 Jun 2002 23:49:17 -0700

As a result of the previous syntax wars, several syntactic features were
removed from E.  However, I left in switches to turn some of these on out of
indecisiveness.  The first three switches below represent features I'm now
willing to kiss goodbye to, and discontinue their experimental support.  The
fourth feature (Dot-based Property Access) justifies the indecisiveness.  I
think it was a mistake to take it out of the language.  By leaving the
mechanism in there and testable, it was easy to revive.

                              Retired Switches

The e.enable.define switch has been retired, since we are now committed to
spelling this keyword only as "def".

The e.enable.no-paren-call switch has been retired, since no-parens
following a dot are now an object-property access, and no-dot-calls are now
deprecated.

The e.enable.no-paren-method switch has been retired, since it makes little
sense without the availability of e.enable.no-paren-call.

The e.enable.dot-props switch has been retired, since the
'expr.propertyName' syntax has now been accepted as an official part of E's
syntax. 'expr.foo' as an rValue expands to 'expr.getFoo()'. 'expr1.foo :=
expr2' expands approximately to 'expr1.setFoo(expr2)'. The actual expansion
additionally ensures that the value of the assignment expression is the
value that expr2 evaluates to.