[e-lang] Being Disheartened by MarkM's Eventual I/O (was: While thinking of operator syntax)

Mark S. Miller e-lang@mail.eros-os.org
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 00:41:13 -0700

(Btw, sorry for the sudden absence.  I was in deadline emergency mode.  The
deadline just got postponed a week, so I've got some slack again.)

At 11:16 AM 6/25/2002 Tuesday, Brian Marick wrote:
> I originally wanted to use a wiki, but folks felt that
>there was too much risk of original messages getting changed.

I've never used a Wiki myself, but I've always been troubled by this issue.
What kinds of safeguards are possible with existing Wiki systems to prevent
anyone at all from just deleting the contents of all the pages?  Or am I
misunderstanding the technology?

>[...] I hacked the PHP weblog software that I was already using for
>RubyGarden to add support for RCRs. I wouldn't necessarily recommend
>the original code (thatware) nor my mods to it, but you're welcome to
>either.

It sounds like this is the only other proposal on the table, and that's not
a very strong recommendation.

What about Ping's Roundup http://web.lfw.org/ping/roundup.html ?

Anyone volunteer to put up one of these systems for use to track E issues?
I suspect this is the gating issue.  I have no experience with any of these
systems, so there's no reason for it to be me.  In the meantime, I'll do
what I can with web pages.