[e-lang] The pi calculus

Ken Kahn e-lang@mail.eros-os.org
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 17:01:30 -0800

Tyler Close:

> As far as I can tell, there isn't any human overlap between the
> two communities yet. Please have a look at the information on
> these web sites. I think we should make contact.

There are those who read this list who know much more about pi calculus than
I do but here are couple points.

1. Pi calculus is based upon synchronous (hand-shake) communication. About
25 years ago I went to dinner with Carl Hewitt and Robin Milner (of CSS and
pi calculus fame) and they were arguing about synchronous vs. asynchronous
communication primitives. Carl used the post office metaphor while Robin
used the telephone. Both quickly admitted that one can implement one in the
other. There has been work on asynchronous pi calculus but I don't know much
about it.

2. I almost co-advised a grad student at Cambridge University who was
interested in bridging ToonTalk and pi calculus. Unfortunately she changed
her mind and did something else.

3. Cambridge University is a hotspot of pi calculus activity (Robin Milner
is there now). I'll be visiting in February and try to make a small informal
initial contact.

Best,

-ken