[e-lang] EIO Compatibility Question

Miller, Mark erights at hp.com
Fri Apr 23 17:01:11 EDT 2004

There's an interesting discussion going on about EIO at http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?EeLanguage . Is there any way to arrange to be
informed when this page is changed? If not, do people find little messages
like this helpful?

Since this caused me to look over EIO again, I noticed at
http://www.erights.org/elib/concurrency/eio/goals.html that I wrote:

> [...] EIO must be implementable in Java1.4 using NIO without introducing
> unnecessary threads.
> [...]
> EIO must be implementable in pure Java1.3 (ie, without NIO or NBIO). Note
> that E itself requires only 1.3 and so must depend on only 1.3. (Though of
> course, E must be compatible with 1.4 and later versions.) Note that this
> requirement cannot be met efficiently now -- on Java 1.3-based
> implementation will require a separate thread to block on each separately
> blockable I/O device on which there's a separate I/O operation posted.

The complexity of trying to play both sides of this is one of the things
that caused the EIO implementation effort to stall out. Now that GCJ
supports NIO, does anyone care anymore about Java without NIO? Would anyone
mind if I said that E may depend on those Java1.4 features that are already
supported in GCJ? In other words, is there any reason other than GCJ to
continue to care about Java1.3?