[e-lang] Announcing E 0.8.30d

zuzu sean.zuzu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 18:30:20 EDT 2004

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:40:27 -0700, Dean Tribble <tribble at e-dean.com> wrote:
> Hear! hear!
> Or is that  hear(), hear()?
>
> If we are going to have new syntax, I want lambdas with the cleanliness
> of smalltalk blocks :)
>
> :-)

banging away at an E-like/actors implementation in ruby, i quite agree
w/r/t lambdas & blocks.

perhaps i should devote more time to examining squeak-E.  though
smalltalk/squeak is still largely opaque to me.  (but reading java
makes my eyes hurt.)

a/t/m i am racking my brain to elegantly transform objects into actors
with closures to fit carl hewitt's description of using continuations
(so that actors can automatically coordinate context themselves
without relying on returning hard values until the very end).

however, as my original intention is simply to program in data-flow
rather than control-flow, i will probably implement a unix-inspired
pipe operand to easily define continuations as unix pipes & filters do
with stdin/stdout.

peace,
-z