[e-lang] E-on-Common-Lisp status (was Re: [Bug #125664] meta.context() exposes global state)

Kevin Reid kpreid at attglobal.net
Mon Dec 20 07:36:17 EST 2004

On Dec 19, 2004, at 21:08, Mark Miller wrote:

> How's E-on-CL going?

At the moment, I'm working on (Const|Flex|RO)Set.

A preferably-before-release todo list I wrote somewhat earlier, with
current situations:

   * Post-mortem finalization for weak references.

Not absolutely required. I need thread-and-reentrancy-safe vat message
queues before I can implement this.

   * A startup script equivalent to 'rune' for E-on-Java.

This is a two-part problem. The first is a shell script which can
launch one's choice of CL implementations and tell it to load E-on-CL;
this is straightforward.

The second is the internal startup code, which does argument
parsing/authorization/REPL/etc. I'm currently trying to use the
existing E code for this purpose. I suspect this may not work, but if
it does it'll remove a rather complex thing from what I need to
reimplement.

   * Parameterizing the now-hardcoded paths, so it'll run on other
people's systems without excessive fiddling.

Half-done. E-on-CL's own library paths are now relative to the
installation location, but it also borrows emakers from one's E-on-Java
installation, and this is not yet handled automatically. Some ways to
handle this:

     * have an analogue to eprops.txt which includes 'What is your
Java-E e.home?'
     * rune --src.e 'print(interp.getProps()["e.home"])'
     * perl -ne 'print $1 and last if /^EHOME=(.*)$/' `which rune`

   * Nontrivial IO interfaces.

I have not yet done anything for this.

> Btw, I am working on trying to fix the licensing problem.

Great.