[e-lang] Patch (0.8.28e): Removing ValueGuard#getName/0

Kevin Reid kpreid at attglobal.net
Sat Jul 10 16:26:32 EDT 2004

On Jul 10, 2004, at 15:56, Dean Tribble wrote:

> Kevin Reid wrote:
>
>> See <http://www.eros-os.org/pipermail/e-lang/2004-April/009807.html>
>> for context.
>>
>> This patch removes all occurrences of ValueGuard#getName/0 and
>> replaces them with the regular printing system (__printOn/1, etc.).
>>
>> It has not been thoroughly tested.
>>
> I think that one should not rely on printOn to produce a
> computer-usable output.  Thus, this replacement only makes sense for
> circumstances in which the value was printed.  It does not make sense
> for the callers that were trying to get a precise value assocaited
> with the ValueGuard.

Is getName/0 ever used to get 'a computer-usable output' now? I do not
recall finding any such usage when I searched the source to produce
this patch.

Are there plans to do so in the future?

Surely __optUncall is a better solution for that purpose, as using a
string result would require that the caller and the target agree on the
scope to be used?

Quoting from