[e-lang] web services constraints and capabilities workshop

David Hopwood david.nospam.hopwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 11:12:49 EDT 2004

bry at xdocs.dk wrote:
> not sure if everyone here has seen this:
> http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2004-07-01-a.html

Doesn't sound as if they mean "capabilities" in the security sense, but we
don't need to let that stop us.

> might be nice to get some E or mozart papers there, especially as it would give
> me ammo for arguing with all the soap-heads around here. ;)

A position paper about the Web Calculus would be a Good Thing (Tyler?) --
as would a paper expressing the disadvantages of generalized policy
frameworks for properties where one-size-fits-all is perfectly sufficient.

For instance:

# Various aspects of a Web service may require description. This includes its
# constraints (e.g., 'You must use HTTP Authentication when accessing this
# service') [...]

Whether a service requires HTTP Authentication is, by definition, determined
by whether I get an error if I try to access it without HTTP Authentication.
Anything else is nothing more than a hint.