[e-lang] Mailing list administration advice.

Mark Miller markm at caplet.com
Wed Jul 21 08:37:00 EDT 2004

The most recent email posted to e-lang, apparently from "Joerg"
<joerg at zilium.de>, looks like a virus message. (Needless to say with
messages that look like this, don't click on the attachment!) Of course,
this doesn't mean that Joerg himself is infected, or that he did anything
wrong.

The current mailman admin settings are to disallow all attachments except
those with a content type matching

multipart/mixed
multipart/alternative
text/plain

The mailman admin interface explains "Note: if you add entries to this list
but don't add multipart to this list, any messages with attachments will be
rejected by the pass filter."

The headers of the bogus message in question, as delivered from mailman,
says: "Content-Type: multipart/mixed".

What I've done for now, and until someone offers better advice, is that I
have not unsubscribed Joerg, but I have changed mailman's list of acceptable
content types to "text/plain". If you have better advice, please let me
know. Thanks.