[e-lang] Re: eBrowser question

Mark Miller markm at cs.jhu.edu
Wed Oct 13 20:11:07 EDT 2004

Keith Binder wrote:
> Every time I try to launch eBrowser i get the following error:
>
> "c:\erights.org\scripts\eBrowser.e-swt
>
> Access is denied."

Fortunately, the workaround for this is simple: use the cygwin command line in
just the way a Unix E user would run E programs from their command line.

I recommend adding the above scripts directory to your PATH -- the magic shell
variable containing the list of directories to search to find the program to
be executed. Given that your E installation directory is "c:\erights.org", as
indicated by your error message above, and if your cygwin installation is like
mine, then you should put the following line in the appropriate startup script
(~/.bashrc or ~/.bash_profile):

     PATH="/cygdrive/c/erights.org/scripts:$PATH"

After you've done that, launch a new cygwin window. You should now be able to type

     $ eBrowser.e-swt

to launch eBrowser. Or you can launch eBrowser to edit a particular file by
saying, for example

     $ eBrowser.e-swt hypercube.e

If anyone has problems with this, please let me know. Thanks.