[e-lang] Redirectories and captp://

Bill Frantz frantz at pwpconsult.com
Fri Sep 24 01:47:23 EDT 2004

At 8:24 PM -0700 9/23/04, Tyler Close wrote:
>So is PING_TIMEOUT = 20 seconds also a good value to use for the wait
>time between checks of the Vat's IP address?
>
>I suppose a related timeout is the time that a Vat waits before retrying
>a connection. Is this application specific in E, or is there some retry
>logic above VatTP in CapTP?

Ideally, a vat would find out if it's address had changed soon enough that
a retry above VatTP would end up trying the new address.  I don't know of
any such higher-level retry though.

[Would a vat trying to contact itself at the IP address it "knows" it is
listening on be enough to check if the IP address had changed?  I seem to
remember that some of the earlier Java releases got that IP address only
once, so there was no way in pure Java to get an updated address without
stopping and restarting the JVM.]

Cheers - Bill