[e-lang] RE: [cap-talk] The KeyNote Trust-Management System (fwd)

Karp, Alan H alan.karp at hp.com
Mon Aug 29 20:46:59 EDT 2005

Accountability only makes sense if the administrator knows who Bob is.
That's a problem of distributed identity management, something KeyNote
nicely avoids.

If Alice wants Bob to have only some of her authorities, then she'll
create a new key pair and delegate a new credential with that subset to
Bob.  That's why I said the number of checks grows longer only with each
subsetting.

> > I'm concerned about the way the the resource is named.  Although you
> > show a small integer, you do state that it needs to be
> globally unique.
> > You don't say how you propose to do that.  Simply picking a
> big random
> > number should work, but you often run into collisions.
> (UDDI has found
> > GUID collisions when merging private repositories, and one big
> > supercomputer cluster wouldn't come up because two Ethernet
> cards had
> > the same MAC address.)  You could use the public or private key of a
> > pair, but that's pretty computationally expensive.  I think
> one way to
> > provide unique handles is to make the handle a use once
> counting integer
> > and make the administrator's public key the uniquifier.  The
> > administrator will need a different key pair for each file
> system, but
> > that's not a big deal.
>
> It needs to be unique for the specific file server; admin
> public key +
> integer is a good way of doing this.

As long as the admin remembers to use a different public key for each
file system.

> -Angelos

Alan Karp
Principal Scientist