[e-lang] Proposed grammar simplifications

Chip Morningstar chip at fudco.com
Wed Jun 1 00:41:49 EDT 2005

>Without real examples (and I mean substantial chunks of code),
>motivating any syntax is hard.  My expectation is that once we compare
>interesting chunks of code written with no syntax enhancements, "verb=",
>and a TBD syntax for expressing modified collections, the latter will
>win, and the no-syntax style will be generally better than the verb=
>style.  I'm happy to wait for such an example before spending too much
>time on this :-)

Just to put in my 2 cents, I think the "verb=" syntax should just die.
It's ugly, it's confusing, and it adds to the language's whole aura of
weirdness without giving us much payoff in return for the trouble.  I
don't think we particularly need to replace it with any other special
syntactic support.

Chip