[e-lang] [Fwd: Re: You may be interested in 0.8.35d]

Mark Miller markm at cs.jhu.edu
Tue Jun 7 20:48:09 EDT 2005

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: You may be interested in 0.8.35d
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:34:19 -0400
From: Kevin Reid <kpreid at attglobal.net>
To: Mark Miller <markm at cs.jhu.edu>

Since I've written some things on what I'm doing and E design here,
feel free to forward this to the list if you think it should be.

On Jun 6, 2005, at 9:48, Mark Miller wrote:

> Hi Kevin,
>
> You may be interested in 0.8.35d which I've posted at
> http://www.erights.org/download/0-8-35/index.html
> but not yet announced. It takes approximately the first step you
> suggest at
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1212444&group_id=75274&atid=551529
> (Proposal: Less Java-dependent importing)

Thanks for the information. What's the approximateness?

(E-on-CL currently uses my "backward compatibility" path described in
that bug, with the <package>.type.<class> naming scheme.)

> I have also changed Data-E serialization so that the surgeon uses
> defaulting name based parameters, rather than positional parameters,
> as I think also suggested. I've been working on Data-E to prepare to
> rewrite CapTP in E.

I have no plans to implement Java serialization in E-on-CL, so I look
forward to this.

Incidentally, E-on-CL now has enough socket support (if run under SBCL)
to connect to a server and send and receive data, so it's closer to
being able to support VatTP + CapTP. Obviously missing pieces are
encryption and byte<->character coding.

> 0.8.35d includes Dean's parser, which does not yet accept all of E,
> but is close.
>
> And 0.8.35d contains many little improvements and bug fixes that came
> from running it against your updoc scripts, and fixing many of the
> disagreements. I have found your updoc scripts quite valuable, thanks!
>
> I probably won't make further public announcements until I've written
> some documentation, which I won't have time to do until at least mid
> June. But I thought this might be of some use to you anyway.

Thanks for letting me know. I can't think of anything offhand but I'll
keep it in mind if I run into something with the official release
version.

I haven't been doing a lot of "using" E - mostly work on E-on-CL, which
doesn't use anything from Java E but the parser. I have a project or
two in mind, though.