[e-lang] Content Complete, Ready for Comments

Mark Miller markm at cs.jhu.edu
Tue Jun 28 02:16:38 EDT 2005

I have posted our current state at the usual place:
http://www.erights.org/talks/promises/paper/index.html

We have incorporated many of your suggestions. Many others we have yet to
incorporate. Interesting, an amazing number of the suggestions still applied,
and were quite valuable, despite the version split. So if you do have comments
on a stale version, please do let us know. Thanks!

For this version, the parts up to promise pipelining are still in flux, and
will likely change again tomorrow morning/afternoon. The parts afterwards are
as they were.

Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> - To understand these twin problems, of separating components and of
> - composing them [...] massive number of conflicting assumptions.
>
>     Delete the paragraph.  The discussion of Hayek's work is a diversion
>     from the topic of the paper, and is mostly redundant since it just
>     restates what was said more succinctly in the first paragraph.

I have deleted the paragraph. The currently posted intro is a snapshot in the
middle of my thrashing to try to say, by other means, what I was hoping this
paragraph was saying. In retrospect, I agree that this paragraph wasn't
working. Now that it's gone, it's forcing me to find clearer words to say
these things, which is good. I just haven't found them yet.