[e-lang] Pipelining figure

Mark Miller markm at cs.jhu.edu
Tue Jun 28 16:15:43 EDT 2005

Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> Here is a new version of the promise-pipelining figure, done in
> a style consistent with the other vat figures.
>
>     http://zesty.ca/promises/pipeline2.svg
>
> I've chosen to use open arrowheads here for unresolved promises,
> for a few reasons -- the shape is more familiar and easier to
> describe than the curvy anchor-like shape in the current figure,
> and it makes meaningful sense because it's just like an arrow
> except that it hasn't been filled in yet, which seems appropriate
> for a reference that "hasn't been filled in yet".

Yes, the open arrowhead is much better. (I had no idea Inkscape could be
extended in this way.)

> I am working on a second version of this figure that shows how the
> messages pile up in the second vat's queue.

Good. Looking forward to it!

Please be aware that we may not include the additional figure due to limited
space. We've inquired with the editor about extra space, in order to include
more figures, but have yet to hear back. But even if it isn't included in this
paper, I expect there'll be a later paper more specifically focused on promise
pipelining anyway. And besides, we can always include it in the unabridged web
version, along with your colored gradients. ;)