[e-lang] Reference-state diagram

David Hopwood david.nospam.hopwood at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 20:32:20 EDT 2005

Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jun 2005, Ka-Ping Yee wrote:
>
>>A good compromise would be to use a figure like the one you have
>>on your web page and add a grouping labelled "vat-crossing" or
>>"remote" that contains "remote promise" and "far".
>
> And here by "good compromise" i meant "best of both worlds." :)
>
> Since i'm leaving for a trip tomorrow, i figured i probably wouldn't
> have another chance, so here's the diagram i described.
>
>     http://zesty.ca/promises/refstates2.svg
>
> Rasterized for viewing here:
>
>     http://zesty.ca/promises/refstates2.png

I like this version. It's not entirely clear, though, unless you're
already familiar with the statecharts notation, that the arrow
labelled 'partition' means that a 'remote promise' can transition
directly to 'broken' without going through 'far'. A sentence in the
text saying so would be sufficient, though.