[e-lang] talk at commercenet on thursday

Chris Hibbert hibbert at mydruthers.com
Tue Mar 28 12:10:23 EST 2006

http://www.commerce.net/events/?post=/2006/03/301600.d82c8d1619ad8176d665453cfb2e55f0.html

March 30, 2006    4:00 pm
T3 3/30: The Battle Against Phishing: Dynamic Security Skins
hosted by Rohit Khare

We are please to host Rachna Damija, a security researcher at Harvard
and former student of Doug Tygar's at Berkeley, on an extremely timely
topic: novel approaches for helping users secure their own experiences
online.

Abstract

To design systems and interfaces to shield users from fraudulent
websites, it is important to know which attack strategies are successful
and why users are deceived. In this talk, I will present empirical
evidence about phishing attack strategies that are successful at
deceiving general users. We conducted a usability study in which 22
participants were shown 20 web sites and asked to determine which ones
were fraudulent. The best phishing sites fooled 90% of participants. We
found that 23% of the participants did not look at browser-based cues
such as the address bar, status bar and the security indicators, leading
to incorrect choices 40% of the time. We also found that some visual
deception attacks can fool even the most sophisticated users. These
results illustrate that standard security indicators are not effective
for a substantial fraction of users, and suggest that alternative
approaches are needed.

I will present a new scheme, Dynamic Security Skins, that allows a
remote web server to prove its identity in a way that is easy for a
human user to verify and hard for an attacker to spoof. We use two novel
interaction techniques to prevent spoofing. First, we propose a browser
extension that provides a trusted window dedicated to username and
password entry. We use a photographic image to create a trusted path
between the user and this window to prevent spoofing of the window and
of the text entry fields. Second, our scheme allows the remote server to
generate a unique abstract image for each user and each transaction.
This image creates a "skin" that automatically customizes the browser
window or the user interface elements in the content of a remote web page.

In contrast to other proposals, our scheme places a very low burden on
the user in terms of effort, memory and time. To authenticate himself,
the user has to recognize only one image and remember one low entropy
password, no matter how many servers he wishes to interact with. To
authenticate content from an authenticated server, the user only needs
to perform one visual matching operation to compare two images.
Furthermore, it places a high burden of effort on an attacker to spoof
customized security indicators.

More information is available at http://deas.harvard.edu/~rachna/

Chris
--