[e-lang] Convert Walnut to MediaWiki

Mark S. Miller markm at cs.jhu.edu
Wed Nov 29 10:03:10 CST 2006

Kevin Reid wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2006, at 6:41, Martin Scheffler wrote:
>
>> Hmm, I think there is no way to add an unescaped double quote to a
>> mediawiki page.
>> All quotes in the E code are escaped, so creating a HTML template
>> for the pragma-line would not be enough.
>> Maybe the easiest way would be to add a HTML-unquote feature to the
>> testing tool.
>
> If the tool doesn't do so already, then it's broken. (I believe it
> does.)
>
> The only programs that should make a distinction between >..."...<
> and >...&quot;...< in HTML are editors and other tools trying to
> preserve original non-semantically-significant structure.

I think Kevin's correct. As an experiment, I edited the pragma line at the top
of <http://www2.deltamobile.com/wiki/Walnut/Ordinary_Programming> to:

     But first, we need to declare what version of E we're using here.
     <pre>
      ? pragma.syntax("0.9")
     </pre>

This produced the following html:

     <pre> ? pragma.syntax("0.9")
     </pre>

which is correct. Other quote symbols within existing E code, as automatically
converted from Walnut/html to Walnut/wiki, all seem correct.