[e-lang] Upgrade, Legacy (was: E research topics)

Mark S. Miller markm at cs.jhu.edu
Sun Apr 15 00:59:26 CDT 2007

Mark S. Miller wrote:
> * Safe Serialization Under Mutual Suspicion
> <http://erights.org/data/serial/jhu-paper/>.

I wanted to call your attention specifically to the upgrade issues touched on
at <http://erights.org/data/serial/jhu-paper/upgrade.html>. This is probably
the second most pressing unsolved problem area standing in the way of large
scale deployment of E-like systems.

The first most pressing practical problem area is legacy compatibility. We
have many partial answers: taming + static verification, rehosting, Polaris,
Plash, virtualization, Tyler's many tricks making crypto capabilities
compatible with web standards, etc. However, currently, we have no general way
to think about what these various techniques might have in common, or how to
handle the next legacy compatibility problem that comes up. This may the most
important area in which to make a contribution, but also might be the hardest
to get academic recognition for.