[e-lang] Miranda invocation

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 10:14:04 EDT 2007

On 8/13/07, Valerio Bellizzomi <devbox at selnet.org> wrote:
> What is a Miranda invocation ?

An invocation which sends one of the Miranda messages
<http://wiki.erights.org/wiki/Miranda_protocol>, which are the
messages that all objects respond to by default. The name (suggested
by similar language in, I think, the ANSI C Language spec) is a joke
on U.S. legal Miranda rights: "If an object does not provide its own
implementation of any of these methods, one will be provided for it."

For Java or Smalltalk, the instance methods defined in class Object
are Miranda in the same sense. But there they are based on
inheritance. E does inheritance by other means, so the Miranda methods
are a separate mechanism.