[e-lang] [Fwd: Intermetaverse group in Second Life]

James Graves ansible at xnet.com
Sat Feb 3 15:03:30 CST 2007

Mark S. Miller wrote:
> Interesting. Might an inter-metaverse protocol be a killer app for
> cryptographic caps?

Metaverse systems in general could be a killer app for crypto and caps.

Second Life is facing some problems right now that will only grow more
serious over time.

Copying objects has caused some problems with the SL economy, for
example.  Never mind that selling virtual products in a virtual world in
general is stupid, but I digress.  Selling virtual services is fine, IMHO.

More seriously, in order for the SL economy to start acting more
reliably (and more like a real economy) they need a functioning
reputation market... now.  Lot of scams running around.  Fake banks and
pyramid investment schemes, etc.

It may eventually be possible to run your own reputation service.  I
might subscribe to several, depending on their depth of research and
credibility.

At a more fundamental level, "Grey Goo" attacks on the grid have
recently shut down SL for a couple days.  These are self-replicating
objects that suck up CPU (and presumably memory and network) resources.

They're currently implementing 'fences' to limit the damage.  And
falling back on identity-based access control.  *Sigh*

Read more about grey goo here:

   http://blog.secondlife.com/2006/10/09/security-and-second-life/

   http://www.secondlifeherald.com/slh/2006/09/linden_lab_grey.html

An exercise for e-lang members:  Tell us how you would fix it instead.

James