[e-lang] Programming Language Popularity Numbers

James Graves ansible at xnet.com
Tue Mar 13 13:49:03 CDT 2007

Karp, Alan H wrote:
> James Graves wrote:
>> This is assuming that you are willing to trust Google with all your
>> data.  I am not, but there are plenty of people who aren't as picky.
>> Faced with the complexity of running and maintaining a desktop OS and
>> applications, I think many people will say "screw it" and just use
>> Google instead.  It is easy and it works.  Path of least resistance.
>>
> I may not care, but my company certainly does.  It took several months
> for me to get approval to use Google Desktop search, and that happened
> only after the gateway was set up to prevent the tool from calling home.
> The opportunity is for Google to sell enterprise editions that work
> entirely behind the firewall.  Of course, then we're back to square one
> when collaborating with people in other companies, but such is life in
> the corporate world.

And for companies that are large enough to have a professional,
competent IT staff, running everything in-house is still quite feasible.

What makes Google Office interesting is when you've got a small 5-person
company that does dog-walking, baking cookies (*), and such.  These
people don't have / can't afford competent IT support.

For small companies, the IT support level typically ranges from "poor"
down to "grossly incompetent".

James

(*) http://butterbella.com/order.htm

Key Lime Crazy is highly recommended, but everything else is good too.