[e-lang] makeStitchPair (was EProxyResolver and ...)

Dean Tribble tribble at e-dean.com
Wed Mar 28 22:02:48 CDT 2007

> > No, I believe it is equivalent. Further, since (unlike Joule) we're
> > building on a system that already primitively supports promises,
> > your code maybe a better starting point than mine for adding
> > Joule's choose operator.
>
> Could you/Dean/whoever tell me about the choose operator?

"choose" is Joule's "arbiter" operation (in Actor terms).  It makes a
non-deterministic choice between two messages in a channel that are not
ordered with respect to each other, thus imposing a full order on a partial
order.  It reveals one message and a Distributor for the remaining
messages.  It is primitive; it is the only non-deterministic operation (out
of which all others are built).  Without something like it as a primitive,
you cannot get non-determinism in a system at all.