[e-lang] Should local promises respond to __whenMoreResolved on resolution?

Kevin Reid kpreid at mac.com
Sun Sep 9 12:47:03 EDT 2007

Should a local promise respond to __whenMoreResolved messages (as
CapTP remote promises do) rather than forwarding them when it becomes
resolved? E-on-Java and E-on-CL don't do this.

If they did, then two promises exported from a vat, one of which then
resolves to the other, will then be externally visible as the same.

Currently, if I understand correctly, they will remain different
until the remaining promise resolves to a resolved-ref or a remote
promise which itself resolves and responds to __whenMoreResolved at
that time.

It also seems to break shortening: if the latter promise in the above
scenario is a proxy, then it might be a candidate for 2 or 3-vat
shortening, but the local comm system won't be notified of the
resolution.

Is there a motivation for the current behavior? Is my analysis correct?