[e-lang] Causeway JSON format doc? (attn Tyler Close and Terry Stanley)

Kevin Reid kpreid at mac.com
Fri Aug 1 19:23:56 CDT 2008

On Aug 1, 2008, at 19:46, Tyler Close wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 4:17 PM, Kevin Reid <kpreid at mac.com> wrote:
>> On Aug 1, 2008, at 18:17, Tyler Close wrote:
>>> The only goal here is to be able to tell an IDE what part of the
>>> code
>>> to highlight when an event is selected. Are there any dominant
>>> assumptions among IDEs for how a code span is defined?
>>
>> I don't know. I would *expect* to find that, if they support Unicode
>> enough that this distinction exists, they would count columns in
>> terms
>> of grapheme clusters, since that's what the cursor will move over
>> and,
>> insofar as monospace is possible, what fits in one monospaced column.
>
> So, the dominant IDEs are: Visual Studio, Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA and
> NetBeans. I think the last three, being implemented in Java, probably
> use the Java char definition of a column. I'd expect Visual Studio to
> use the definition of wchar_t, which is also a 16 bit unit that I
> think is the same as a Java char. Barring new information, I think we
> should decree that a column is a UTF-16 code unit.

I really doubt that they'd all do this. Could you please check how
many colums these count as in those applications?

  k̈ -- U+006B U+0308 k-diaeresis, using a combining accent (two code
points, two scalar values, one grapheme cluster)
  𐐀 -- U+10400 DESERET CAPITAL LETTER LONG I, a scalar value
represented as two UTF-16 code points

> On a Got, the trace consists of a single call site that is dummied up
> to be the first line of the invoked application method. In addition to
> providing a good name to Causeway, this also lets the programmer see
> what concrete implementation was invoked by the virtual method call.

This is not necessarily practical, if the method dispatch is absorbed
by the E implementation's host language.