[e-lang] Causeway JSON format doc? (attn Tyler Close and Terry Stanley)

Tyler Close tyler.close at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 19:48:47 CDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 5:23 PM, Kevin Reid <kpreid at mac.com> wrote:
> I really doubt that they'd all do this. Could you please check how
> many colums these count as in those applications?
>
>  k̈ -- U+006B U+0308 k-diaeresis, using a combining accent (two code
> points, two scalar values, one grapheme cluster)
>  𐐀 -- U+10400 DESERET CAPITAL LETTER LONG I, a scalar value
> represented as two UTF-16 code points

In Visual Studio:

-the first character is considered two columns. When the cursor is
placed before the character, you have to hit the right arrow button
twice to move beyond the character. The first button press moves the
cursor to the right of the k. The second button press is absorbed
without moving the cursor, but incrementing the column count.
-the second character is considered two columns. A single press of the
right arrow button moves the cursor to the right of the character and
increments the column count by 2.

In Eclipse:

-the first character is considered two columns. A single press of the
right arrow button moves the cursor from the left of the glyph to the
right and increments the column count by 2.
-the second character is silently removed from the file by Eclipse.

>> On a Got, the trace consists of a single call site that is dummied up
>> to be the first line of the invoked application method. In addition to
>> providing a good name to Causeway, this also lets the programmer see
>> what concrete implementation was invoked by the virtual method call.
>
> This is not necessarily practical, if the method dispatch is absorbed
> by the E implementation's host language.

You do the best you can.

--Tyler