[e-lang] Causeway viewing your E-on-CL traces

Tyler Close tyler.close at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 15:42:56 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Kevin Reid <kpreid at mac.com> wrote:
> On Aug 5, 2008, at 8:14, Terry Stanley wrote:
>> 2) The source files in the trace file had absolute path names. I used
>> a text editor to change them to relative paths.
>
> If they are to be generated relative, what should they be relative to?

Assume all source code is found under some root directory. The source
path is then the relative path from this root to the source file. This
way, the Causeway viewer can be configured with a single source folder
from which to lookup any source file. For example, the sample events
shown at:

http://waterken.sourceforge.net/debug/

use a source path of

"source" : "example/src/org/waterken/bang/Drum.java"

which assumes a root folder under which each project is stored.

Obviously this means all the source code in a given interaction must
coordinate their chosen project names.

>> <e-on-cl-causeway-snap.png>
>

> I notice that the vat IDs are long and present in the UI. Since E
> systems aren't usually in the business of identifying everything with
> URIs, and Tyler's documentation says they should be URIs, I just set
> up to generate random numbers (possibly overly large; I didn't think
> about them) and stuff them into tag URIs.
>
> Perhaps the log should have a field for a nickname (in the Zooko's-
> Triangle sense) for the vat, since one exists in E and it's more
> likely to be what the user wants?

The event loop URIs in the Waterken server take the form:

"loop" : "http://localhost:8080/-/t7/",

where everything after the "-/" segment may be a programmer chosen
name. I figured the Causeway viewer could use the last segment in the
URI as the short name and the full URI as the globally unique name.

--Tyler