[e-lang] Communicating Event Loops with Promises (was: Understanding capabilities in a web-desktop setting)

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 13:02:35 CDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 10:29 AM, Jonathan S. Shapiro <shap at eros-os.com> wrote:
> Mark:
>
> You explain how things should *not* be described, but you have not
> clarified for Ben how they *should* be described.
>
> Can you do so? He needs a term, not a paragraph.

Ben has already changed the sentence to "such as built-in support for
writing distributed systems and an interesting and useful distributed
message ordering paradigm"  which sidesteps the issue, as is fine for
his paper.

As for a single term or phrase for E's and Waterken's concurrency:
"communicating event loops with promises".

A very interesting new system based on "communicating event loops with
promises" is AmbientTalk/2
<http://prog.vub.ac.be/~tvcutsem/publications/phd_tom_van_cutsem.pdf>
<http://prog.vub.ac.be/amop/> <http://code.google.com/p/ambienttalk/>.
They would also like to move this system towards object-capabilities
someday. Check it out!