[e-lang] An object-capability subset of Python

zooko zooko at zooko.com
Tue Aug 19 12:53:18 CDT 2008

Dear Mark Searborn and e-lang:

I chatted with the PyPy folks on their IRC channel, and they pointed
me to:

http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/sandbox.html

and:

http://codespeak.net/pypy/dist/pypy/doc/objspace-proxies.html#the-
taint-object-space

This shows that they are interested in the idea of secure execution,
but that they don't yet understand the notion of capabilities.

However, they are very smart and open-minded folks, so I encourage
you to work with them.

In contrast Guido van Rossum, when I spoke to him at the most recent
PyCon, emphatically told me "If you think that Python can be made
into a capability system then you do NOT understand Python!".
Shortly thereafter he ended our conversation in order to be
interviewed by a journalist.

Regards,

Zooko