[e-lang] Installer WIP branch created

Kevin Reid kpreid at mac.com
Sat Aug 30 07:38:53 CDT 2008

svn://svn.synchrona.org/erights/e/branches/installer-including-unix

As the commit message says:

r507 | kpreid | 2008-08-30 07:32:50 -0400 (Sat, 30 Aug 2008) | 12 lines

Publishing my installer work-in-progress. As it is, this provides two
features:

* Installer for unixoid platforms, built off a generic installer
framework which *should* eliminate duplicated code with Windows.

* A powerbox-based installation, so that the user knows exactly where
the installer can possibly put files.

However, firstly, the Windows installer doesn't work -- there is no
provision for the powerbox to grant registry-mutating authorities.
Secondly, Dean Tribble informs me that it is a good idea to, on
Windows, generate ".msi" installer files instead of doing the system
mutations oneself.

Therefore, the direction I would like to go is, instead, generating
platform-specific packages whenever possible
(.msi, .pkg, .rpm, .deb ...), as this will help with such things as
installation and incorporation into existing distributions/packaging
systems. This implies changing the installer from a "perform install"
model to "write installation instructions".

This branch does not yet, but should when complete, delete older
installers from the source tree.

I also forgot to mention that the format in which the installer
requests authorities, completely breaks the powerbox by letting code
provided by the installer get large authorities -- though this is not
practically a problem as the installer and powerbox are distributed
together. I intend to fix this with an auditor, if this verson of the
installer is developed any further.