[e-lang] E 0.9.1b Breaks Old Code

Kevin Reid kpreid at mac.com
Thu Feb 21 20:29:40 EST 2008

On Feb 21, 2008, at 19:57, Toby Murray wrote:

> I've got some old E code that fails to run correctly on newer versions
> of the E runtime (specifically with the current stable 0.9.1b and
> current svn head).
>
> The specific problem seems to be that remote captp URIs are being
> resolved to null, rather than far references.
>
> Example code below:
>
> $ cat testClient.e
> def getObjectFromURI(uri) :any {
>     introducer.sturdyFromURI(uri).getRcvr()
> }

This is the "easy-return" syntax switch.

All method and function bodies now return null, unless you use the
return-ejector.

def getObjectFromURI(uri) {
     return introducer.sturdyFromURI(uri).getRcvr()
}

Before easy-return, the rule was that the result guard is void by
default, so writing an explicit result guard enabled returning a
value; this is why your code has ":any".