[e-lang] Fwd: When will we see a solid capability OS?

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 03:16:45 EST 2008

On Jan 19, 2008 12:05 AM, Mark Miller <erights at gmail.com> wrote:
> >If by "commercial quality" you mean something that could replace
> >Windows, the answer is never.

I should mention that I'm much less pessimistic than that. Never is a
long time, and some revolutions are big enough to sweep aside
installed bases. In 1987, if you had asked me how long soviet
communism would last, I would have given it at least 50 years. By 1991
it was mostly gone. This seems a good time to repeat one of my
favorite Milton Friedman quotes:

  We do not influence the course of events by persuading
  people that we are right when we make what they regard
  as radical proposals. Rather, we exert influence by keeping
  options available when something has to be done at a time
  of crisis.