[e-lang] Fwd: When will we see a solid capability OS?

David Hopwood david.hopwood at industrial-designers.co.uk
Sat Jan 19 17:34:04 EST 2008

Constantine Plotnikov wrote:
> IMHO the most acute problem is a good application-level persistence
> model (unless I have missed some breakthrough here). Note I do not
> think that orthogonal persistence model is sustainable in the long run
> (more on that is here:
> http://constantine-plotnikov.blogspot.com/2007/02/software-system-longevity-paradigms.html).

Support for persistent capabilities does not imply support for orthogonal
persistence.

Persistent capabilities can be implemented in a filesystem-oriented
model, just by splitting each file into data and capability "forks"
(the latter acting as an array of capabilities), and adding primitives
to get or set the capabilities in a particular subrange of a designated
file's capability fork.

--
David Hopwood