[e-lang] quick look at Caja vs. GWT's output

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 19:58:42 EST 2008

2008/1/22 Lex Spoon <lex at lexspoon.org>:
> From my quick read of the Caja doc, I see no fundamental problems with
> having GWT target Caja instead of arbitrary JavaScript.  In general, GWT is
> using JavaScript to simulate Java, so rules like "this stealing" and
> inheritance rules should not be a problem.

Is there any general summary of the GWT translation? I'm especially
curious about GWT's translation of Java's 'super'.

> [...]  Also, all fields will probably need to get automatic getters and
> setters, because GWT input is arbitrary Java code.

I don't understand about getters and setters. Java (as well as Joe-E)
has both public and non-public fields and methods. JavaScript has both
properties used as fields and properties used as methods. In Caja,
properties can be public or non-public. So why would you need to
generate getters and setters that weren't in the original Java?

> [...] The first thing, it would seem,
> is to check whether GWT can be coaxed into emitting Caja at all.

That sounds great! (I'm also curious about whether it would make any
sense to get GWT to emit Cajita, but that's much lower priority.)