[e-lang] Fwd: Capability Systems and Concurrency

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 00:21:06 EST 2008

2 of 6

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Mark Miller <erights at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:18 PM
Subject: Re: Capability Systems and Concurrency
To: Kris Zyp <kzyp at sitepen.com>
Cc: douglas at crockford.com, cormac at ucsc.edu, Brendan Eich <brendan at mozilla.org>

On Jan 28, 2008 5:38 PM, Kris Zyp <kzyp at sitepen.com> wrote:
 > As I was thinking about the concerns in securing JavaScript, I realized that
 > there is significant overlap between the issues of capability control and
 > safe concurrency.

 Hi Kris, it's very gratifying for me to hear this. My thesis was

 Robust Composition: Towards a Unified Approach to Access Control and
 Concurrency Control <http://erights.org/talks/thesis/>

 The unification I explore is indeed along the lines you suggest. I
 hope to extend our work on secure JavaScript into concurrent,
 distributed, persistent, secure JavaScript in a similar manner. A
 first step by Tyler Close can be found at
 <http://waterken.sourceforge.net/bang/>.

 If you do take a look, I'd love to hear your comments. Thanks!