[e-lang] Fwd: Capability Systems and Concurrency

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 00:22:10 EST 2008

4 of 6

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Kris Zyp <kzyp at sitepen.com>
Date: Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 3:57 PM
Subject: Re: Capability Systems and Concurrency
To: Mark Miller <erights at gmail.com>

From: "Mark Miller" <erights at gmail.com>
 Sent: Monday, January 28, 2008 11:18 PM

 > Hi Kris, it's very gratifying for me to hear this. My thesis was
 >
 > Robust Composition: Towards a Unified Approach to Access Control and
 > Concurrency Control <http://erights.org/talks/thesis/>
 I have been reading this over the last couple days, very impressive. I had a
 question, this may be a elementary, but I wanted to know what is serialized
 when a message is passed to another remote vat. If there are objects that
 are passed as arguments, they are treated as far references in the
 serialization, right? If the object has public properties, are they
 serialized and transferred as well? And if so are they treated as immutable
 data on the receiving end? Or does a message argument serialization consist
 purely of primitives and far references?
 I am very interested in exploring some of the ideas further with my project
 Persevere. Persevere is intended to store JavaScript objects on a server, so
 browsers/clients can have remote persistence capabilities to access and
 manipulate the server provided JavaScript objects. These persisted
 JavaScript objects have extensive expressibility that includes most of the
 capabilities of transient JavaScripts objects like dynamic
 properties/extensible object graphs, and even functions can be persisted. I
 think the persistence of JavaScript functions in object graphs would be
 particularly interesting to intersect with capability-based security. One
 could allow less-trusted sources to store functions, and their capabilities
 could be appropriately limited.
 I also found the discussions in your thesis on promise pipelines and E-order
 to be very fascinating, and would like to utilize that more.
 Thanks,
 Kris