[e-lang] A broken brand?

David Wagner daw at cs.berkeley.edu
Thu Mar 6 04:01:02 EST 2008

Sandro writes:
>David Wagner wrote:
>> Can you explain why we'd want transparent intermediation?  Are we talking
>> about the membrane pattern, or something like that?
>
>Unless I'm mistaken, this is a problem for sealers, which have many uses
>that cross machine boundaries.

I'm ignorant about distributed systems, so perhaps I'm talking
nonsense, but I don't quite follow this comment yet.  In a distributed
system, transparent forwarders/proxies have to be implemented as part
of the TCB (not at the application layer), and they have to have the
ability to "forge" types (i.e., to pretend to be of any desired type).
So I don't see why type-checking would prevent using these objects in
a distributed system.