[e-lang] Joe-E 2.0 Release

Tyler Close tyler.close at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 10:35:06 EST 2008

I've got an alternate proposal for marking Joe-E code.

Java supports package annotations that are available at both compile
time and runtime. I suggest Joe-E define an annotation
org.joe_e.verified. To enable Joe-E verification of a package, the
programmer adds the standard package-info.java file with content:

@org.joe_e.verified package org.example.stuff;

The Policy class can then check that a reflected member is either
defined in a Joe-E verified package, or is enabled in the safej
database. The safej database then doesn't need to contain any
information about Joe-E verified code, only tamed Java code.

--Tyler

On Fri, Mar 7, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Adrian Mettler <amettler at cs.berkeley.edu> wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback.  In the current design, things are a pain when
>  there are multiple projects with Joe-E code, as the verifier is not
>  aware that the other projects are Joe-E verified.  I'm interested in
>  improving this, both in the long term and implementing some workarounds
>  for the short term -- it should be easier than your experience.  (I
>  recently grabbed the waterken release to work on implementing the needed
>  taming policy and encountered the same problems, and started
>  implementing prefs in the verifier to make things work more smoothly, as
>  it seemed to be even more of a problem then missing stuff in the safej
>  decisions.)
>
>  At the moment, the verifer autogenerates .safej and Policy files, but
>  this is not always necessary.  The safej files may be useful if the
>  project will be used as a library (particularly a binary library).  The
>  Policy file can be helpful if the project will be run as a stand-alone
>  application and uses reflection on classes defined in the project.
>  Neither are necessary if one is using a Policy file based on
>  distinguishing trusted/verified code (for which all methods are enabled)
>  by its classloader.  Ideally, there would be some way to tell when these
>  files are needed or useful, but in the short term I can make a pref to
>  toggle each of these on a per-project basis.  I can also have an option
>  to generate a Policy file that implements the prior classloader-checking
>  behavior to avoid the need for explicit taming info for non-library classes.
>
>  Another goal is to make the verifier aware of Joe-E code in other
>  projects, making it easier to handle multiple-project applications.
>  Previous versions had a hack of assuming that all source code in the
>  workspace was safe to call, whereas all JARs had to be tamed, but this
>  isn't a reliable distinction.  One could have legacy classes open as a
>  source project, or Joe-E code included from a JAR.  The simplest
>  approach to unify this was to require safej for everything (except, by
>  technical necessity, verified source in the same project); but in the
>  current implementation, I see that this is a real pain.  There are a
>  number of ways I see to improve this:
>  (1) add a pref to restore the previous behavior of trusting all source.
>      this is not a full solution, as not all source is trusted.  It also
>      may make compile-time taming policy differ from runtime taming
>      policy.  But it might be the easiest to implement temporarily
>  (2) recognize Joe-E code in other projects, the same way as Joe-E code
>      in the same project, and allow it to be used.  This can potentially
>      cause runtime and compile-time policy to differ, unless all Joe-E
>      code from such projects is used in creating Policy.java.  Either
>      way, I think that this is preferable to (1), as non-Joe-E stuff
>      won't ever get treated as safe for no good reason.  Unfortunately,
>      it still makes it a pain to use non-Joe-E code (which must still be
> [...]

Use web-keys for RESTful access-control:
http://waterken.sourceforge.net/

Name your trusted sites to distinguish them from phishing sites.
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/957/