[e-lang] Joe-E Doc

David Wagner daw at cs.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 11 18:32:24 EDT 2008

I thought I'd announce the release of Joe-E Doc, a taming-aware
version of Javadoc for Joe-E.

You can find the Javadoc API reference for the tamed Java libraries
and for the Joe-E libraries here:
  http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~daw/joe-e/api/
(That URL is also linked to from the Joe-E web page.)

These API docs were generated using the Joe-E Doc tool.  Joe-E Doc
produces the usual output from Javadoc, but also annotates it with
information from the taming database so that you can quickly spot which
methods are suppressed, etc.  The page above will be automatically
refreshed once a week to reflect the latest taming database and Joe-E
library in the Joe-E Google Code Subversion repository and the latest
Javadoc comments from the OpenJDK 7 Mercurial repository.

Some of you may remember EDoc, a version of Javadoc built in the E
project for a similar purpose.  Unfortunately EDoc was not open source
and bitrotted.  Joe-E Doc fulfills a similar purpose to EDoc, but because
Sun has released their OpenJDK under the GPL license, we're able to
release the Joe-E Doc tool under an open source license (the GPL):
  http://code.google.com/p/joe-e-doc/
Joe-E Doc was written by Kanav Arora, Akshay Krishnamurthy, and Adrian
Mettler.  Thanks, guys!

If you peruse the API docs above, the first thing you'll notice is
just how incredibly sparse the Joe-E taming database is.  If anyone
would like to contribute to the Joe-E project, helping us build up a
taming database might be a great place to start.