[e-lang] Joe-E 2.0 Release

Adrian Mettler amettler at cs.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 11 22:43:04 EDT 2008

David and I discussed the package annotation and agreed that it sounds
like a very good solution for this problem.  Thank you for taking the
time to come up with it!  With this in place, org.joe_e.taming.Policy
would only need to be updated if taming decisions for legacy libraries
change.  For a waterken or plug-in application, the policy in use would
be determined by the hosting framework.  For a standalone application,
the developer could either use the canonical org.joe_e.taming.Policy
file that we will provide, or they could construct it from a custom set
of safej specifications.

For Joe-E code, the verifier can use the @verified annotation to
determine what packages to verify.  This will allow the specification of
which packages in a project are Joe-E code to be persisted when the
project is exported (the persistent properties that I am currently using
for this purpose are not, which is less than ideal)  The drop-down
toggle that enables and disables verification can instead turn on and
off the annotation.

A per-project option (off by default) will enable the auto-generation of
a Policy file (based only on safej files; it will no longer need to
include any Joe-E code).  Someone using the "canonical" set of taming
decisions won't have to use this feature, as they can just use the
standard Policy.java.

The verifier will no longer need to generate safej files for verified
code.  This also means that you will no longer be able to get template
safej by pretending that non-Joe-E code is Joe-E.  If you have the
source, there's some code you can uncomment that builds template safej
files for a specified package; at some point I'd like to make this
functionality available from the UI, but the other changes above are
much higher priority.

Please let me know if these plans won't work well for you.

Thanks,
-Adrian